Thursday, February 3, 2011

A week at home...

I did move to Texas, right?  The place where it's supposed to be no colder than 45 degrees in the winter and hot as the surface of the sun in the summer? I did leave Nebraska and it's snow, ice and -20 (with wind chill) temperatures 2 years ago, right?  K, just checking.  Cause we're covered in ice and the high today was 15 degrees.  It's cool though, cause I've been working at home all week with my Mimi and husband.  He's been sequestered in his office since Sunday cause it's National Signing Day week.  If you don't know what that is...click here... www.huskersillustrated.com. That's where my husband lives.  In that website.  So, if you want to say hi to him, that's where you should go.

I'm supposed to go to the office tomorrow, but it's not looking good anymore...given that my boss called me and said to stay home.  So, that means, I'll be staying home while my husband tries to fly to Nebraska for tv interviews.  We'll see if THAT happens with the frozen tundra that has taken over pretty much the entire country. 

Anyway, Mia went to bed early tonight and so I have time to work and cook. Here's what I made...


Breaded tilapia with rosemary, parmesan mashed cauliflower, cherry tomatoes with italian dressing (fancy, I know) and some bread.   It took all of 15 minutes to make (minus the steaming of the cauliflower) and it was EXACTLY what I wanted to eat. Easy, yummy and little clean-up.  See, complicated food makes me not happy.  I don't want to have to wash a million things and I don't want to have my eyes glued to a recipe in order to cook something.  Simple food is the best food.  Period.

So, you're wondering what's on the bread?  Oh, I'm glad you asked...it's butter and jelly.



Why? Because I'm from the country in Nebraska and that's how we eat our bread at dinner.  With butter and jelly (or homemade strawberry jam if you're at my mom's house).  Don't worry, I'll get there, eventually.  There is just something about the little bit of "sweet" with a savory meal that just makes me feel good.  I LOVE those contrasts, sweet and salty...hence, the brownies with sea salt.  That's LITERALLY sweet and salty. 

And the tomatoes with italian dressing...it's something that I learned from a coworker that is delicious. 



And how much simpler can you get than that?  You can't really.  Oh, unless you add salt and pepper.  Which I did.

0 comments: