Friday, February 25, 2011

Hormones, preservatives and crap.

If I had all of the money and time in the world,  I would grow my own vegetables, fruit, meat, etc.  I would only shop at Farmer's Markets (if I needed to) and probably only get things like milk, cheese and pasta at the grocery store.  Even if I had a lot of money, I don't think I want to make cheese or milk a cow and have to pasteurize it.  No thanks.  

The point is...I do not want to eat (nor feed my family) things like preservatives, hormones, nitrates, high fructose corn syrup, etc.  

Well, turns out, I don't have all of the money and time in the world.  Darnit.  Heck, I'm not even a full time stay at home mom.  I'm a half time at home mom...(I am very very lucky to be in my office three days a week and home the rest). But still...it's hard to juggle it all.  So, I've learned to compromise.  Case in point.  Mia's lunch today...

First, take a look at this cute kid plate and baby fork.  It's just one of those items at Target that make their way into your cart and why you can NEVER leave there without spending at least $80. 


That's besides the point.  But really, I have a love/hate relationship with Target. As a kid I remember eating lots of macaroni and cheese and hot dogs. I LOVE hot dogs, but don't really eat them because of the crap that's in them.  Same with mac and cheese...I don't even want to KNOW how long it takes for my digestive system to process all of the crap that's in that powdered cheese. 

Still, it's a great meal and very kid friendly.  So, here's my compromise...


Annie's organic mac and cheese and Oscar Meyer Angus hot dogs (free of the crap).  Yes, it's a little more expensive at the store...but really not much.  I found a deal at Kroger that sold Annie's mac and cheese for 99 cents a box...which is LESS than the preservative-filled Kraft kind.  I think the regular price is aournd $2 a box.  And for a 15 month old, that box lasts a long time. 

So, here it is....hot dogs and mac and cheese...brings back memories.  Oh...and steamed carrots too.  While I like to think she likes to eat the fancy food I make for dinner (sometimes).  Here is what she really wants.  Simple and easy for her to digest. 


Here's the deal...you don't have to buy EVERYTHING organic.  And it's a rare person who has the time to grow their own food (although I'm going to try this summer).  Does my child eat mandarin oranges in the pre-filled cups?  Yes.  Did she drink some chocolate milk with high fructose corn syrup this morning? Yes.  No, we're not perfect...but we try our best.  Why wouldn't you give your child (and yourself) the healthiest food you possibly can.

Plus, she likes it.  And doesn't throw "too" much on the floor.



We're still working on actually using that "fork" thing.  She still prefers her hands. 

0 comments: