Sunday, February 6, 2011

The best part of Nebraska I've never seen.

So, I'm from Nebraska...and will always be a Midwest girl.  Having lived in both Tennessee and now Texas, I can tell you...it's a very different place, with different people and different vibes.  Not bad...It's just that's where I fit in best.  Too bad it's so cold there.  Cause I sure don't miss it enough to endure 6 months of below zero temperatures. 

Anyway, my mother in law is also from Nebraska.  We are from opposite sides of the state (me, the east...her, the west).  I have never been to where she is from, but thanks to her...I do have a little "flavor" of where she came from.  And that flavor is delicious!

In 2 words. Jiffy Burgers.  I guess there was this great little locally owned burger place where she grew up and this was THE thing to eat.  She tells me stories of when she came home from college on the weekends and before she could go home, she had to stop and get a Jiffy Burger. 

So, I got the recipe from her and made them.

Here's where it starts.  Hamburger and Onions...drain the grease...easy enough.


Then you add these...cream of wheat and worcestershire sauce. Cream of what? 


Then you add the sauce...and no, it's not just sloppy joes with mustard.  It's so much more...including a cup of mayo and more onions.


Mix it up!


Buy the cheapest, white bread buns you can find.  Usually white bread is a NO NO in my house, although on occasion, my husband has asked me to buy it...and I usually do.  But, let's take this sandwich for what it is...hamburger with lots of fat-filled ingredients in it.  It would only taste good on a white bread bun.  Served with chips.


Good Good Good.  I ate 2 and a half and then couldn't move for an hour and half.  JC ate three and will probably eat the rest of the leftovers today.  I'm thinking these will be one of our "fun" foods for a long time to come. 

In other news.  My daughter is pretty, smart, sweet and is getting the BEST sense of humor.  I sure love her.


I love her more up real close.

0 comments: