Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Simple and...good?

Have you ever had cube steak?  (or round steak as it's also called)?  Well, as you may know, I don't particularly like to fry our dinner...it's unhealthy and all of that oil and grease just grosses me out, frankly.  Now, if I could have chocolate fondue or Milano cookies every night...that's another story.  Anyway, I decided to go against my healthy habits and make this last night...Fried Round Steak.

I bought it on a whim during my power grocery shopping trip yesterday.  Mostly because it was cheap and not chicken.  The PW recipe is beyond simple so I thought hey, why not? Here is how the recipe starts.  Real butter melted in canola oil.  Yum?


Then you do this.  Just what you see...including a little Lawry's Seasoning Salt and Ground Black Pepper.


Okay, so it looks kinda good.  I let it bubble in all that grease and butter for about 3 minutes on each side.  Then plated this up for the hubby and I...the little one had already went to bed.


Of course, I had to make steamed broccoli to cancel out the guilt from fried round steak.  Here's the deal.  I still didn't really like it.  But the funniest thing happened....

JC was working on his laptop in the recliner while I was cooking.  We were having a rare quiet moment.  He didn't know what I was cooking...so I plated it up for him and took it to him in the chair.  He set aside his laptop, grabbed his fork and knife and started cutting the meat.  Now, I (being the harsh self-critic I am) started in right away.

Me: "I don't know how good this will be.  It was cheap at the store and easy, so that's why I made it."
JC: "Oh honey, it'll be great...everything you make is good." (True statement...I'm not flattering myself.)

......a few minutes go by...JC's cube steak is about 1/2 gone...we're eating in silence...

JC: "Oh my gosh...THIS IS CUBE STEAK!!"
Me: "Yeah, it is."
JC: "I LOVE CUBE STEAK. We used to eat it all the time when I was little."
Me: " Oh really?  Is this how your mom used to fix it?"
JC: "Yeah, exactly how she used to fix it.  (more silence and then a smile)  Man, that really took me back."

So, how about that.  Out of a little fried, cheap cut of meat, I brought back a happy memory to my husband that he hadn't thought about in awhile.  So, looks like we'll be doing a little more frying in our household from now on.

0 comments: