Monday, April 4, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken and extreme grocery shopping

God, I'm getting so old.  Wanna know why? Cause I have a blog about what I cook and I'm about to talk about how much money I saved at the grocery store with coupons.  That's why.  Anyone who is interested, keep reading.  Anyone who thinks I'm old and this blog is a waste of time, then head on over to Myspace and check that out. 

Anyway...so I've figured out this grocery shopping thing.  I am AMAZED each month how much we spend each month on food for 3 people...okay, well, more like 2 1/2 people.  Anyway, I watched a few previews for the new TLC show "Extreme Couponing" and got inspired.  So, I've done it for two weeks and listen up...it's amazing what a little time and effort can do to your grocery budget.

Okay, so week one.  I scoured the weekly ads for Kroger and Tom Thumb, the two grocery stores near me.  I circled the items that I wanted to buy at each store.  I headed out on Saturday morning, hit up both stores, bought everything that I circled and then a few items that I didn't circle (but were still on sale)...and guess what, just by buying ONLY things that are on sale...I saved $65.  WHAT?!?!?  $65!  That's crazy talk.  So, I got really excited and thought, okay, next week I can do better. 

So, I did the same routine, EXCEPT, this time I had coupons. I bought a Dallas Morning News (just for the coupons) and cut out coupons that matched up to the items that were on sale at each grocery store.  I headed out this past Friday and did the same thing (bought only sale items) + used a few coupons that matched up.  I saved $55 this week but I bought SO much more than last week.  Example...just in the meat department, I bought a 2 lb chuck roast, 2 pork tenderloins, 2 packages of ground turkey and 1 package of 6 chicken breasts.  The meat was all hormone and crap free.  That meat alone would cost me $70 probably...and I got it for around $25 to $30 (lots of buy one get one free and $5 Friday specials.)

I'm telling you...it's worth it and kind of addicting. Okay, high five to me and now on to the cooking...on the menu: Teriyaki Chicken. So, with the super sale chicken, I did this. 

Cut up chicken breast and added some Teriyaki marinade.  I did that, added some black pepper (no salt though) and stuck it in the fridge for awhile.  Then I cut up some peppers.  (These were also on super sale, yellow and orange peppers for like 75 cents a piece!)


Then this happened.


Her snack cup of goldfish crackers all over the floor.  Uh-oh is right, Mia.  Uh oh is right.  But it's okay, cause she's cute.


So, we swept it up and went about our business.  I threw the marinated chicken chopped peppers into a pan and sauteed for a few minutes.  Then I added some pineapple and poured it over jasmine rice.  See?


Delicious.  We all loved it.  Except Mia, who is now becoming pickier by the day.  If it's not spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, french fries, waffles, fruit or cookies, she ain't eating it.  I'm gonna have to start making green bean cookies or something.  On a happier note, here's my husband. Cute, aint he?

0 comments: