Thursday, April 7, 2011

Birthday Cake

I'm 28.  Yesterday was my birthday and now I'm 28 years old.  It's a pretty awesome age to be, I guess.  No different than 27.  When I turn 30, well...that will probably feel a little different.  Anyway, I have always been the type to never quite graduate from grade school in the sense that I feel the need to always bring things for other people on my birthday.

This year?  Homemade Red Velvet Cake.  I actually have never had red velvet cake.  Crazy, huh?  So, I made THIS RECIPE the night before my birthday and brought it in to work yesterday.  It was Sweet!!!  And I don't mean, like..."Sweet, Jill brought me a birthday cake on her birthday"...I mean, "Oh my god, all of my teeth just fell out because this cake is so sweet."  It was too sweet for me and I was a little disappointed.  Mostly cause it's straight from scratch, is made with things like "shortening" in it and I even sifted the cake flour. CAKE FLOUR! I didn't even know that existed.  Anyway, here is me sifting.  That flour does look rather pretty, doesn't it?


Then I did all of the other things the recipe said to do and ended up with four bowls of ingredients.  See?


And eventually, they all got mixed together...


Then I made the That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had recipe again and...yup.  Still the best frosting I've ever had.


Baked it, put the frosting on it and viola.  Red velvet birthday cake, from scratch!!



Oh, it's so pretty...but really, just way too sweet.  I may or may not have chugged milk straight from the jug out of necessity after taking a few bites of this first piece.  Happy Birthday to me!

0 comments: