Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mom's Banana Bread

So, I have a little girl that eats a banana every morning for breakfast.  She's not really a "breakfast" eater yet.  She is content with a cup of milk (warm of course), a banana and some cheerios. Oh...and can't forget Mickey Mouse Clubhouse too.  That's a must for breakfast time. 

Anyway, I ALWAYS have bananas in the house.  The last time we went to costco, we got a huge bunch of bananas that were already ripe and I just KNEW that we would eat them before they spoiled, no problem.  Well, I was wrong.  We ended up with 4 bananas that weren't going to get eaten before they spoiled, especially since Mia was going to stay at her GiGi's house this weekend (JC's mom). 

So, I decided that I needed to make banana bread.  We had the whole weekend to ourselves so I had lots of time to bake.  My mom has the best banana bread recipe.  It's simple and good.  Here it is...

In a bowl, mix:

1 stick of margarine
1 cup + 1 tbsp. of sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla

Mix together with a mixer and add:

3-4 ripe bananas
1/2 cup of sour cream (or nonfat yogurt if you are dieting...but then, why would you eat banana bread?)

Mix together with a mixer, then add:

1 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup of walnuts (I had to omit this one...didn't want to risk the little girl choking on a nut)

You'll get something like this:


Pour in a well-greased and floured loaf pan. Like this.


Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or so.  After that, you get this.


It amazes me every time...that yucky, nasty almost rotten bananas make this.  Super good!

0 comments: