Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Barbeque Meatballs ala Mussack

Like I've said before...I'm a Midwesterner.  My roots are northern Midwestern...with my dad's family mostly coming from Northern Iowa and Southern Minnesota (I think).  Well, I have a cookbook that my grandma Mussack gave me a few years back. It's one of those compiled church cookbooks, where the entire ladies aid is in charge of submitting recipes. Most of the recipes are similar...none of them are particularly healthy.  It's the Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Adams, Minnesota cookbook. I love it for four reasons:

1.  There are at least 35 different "hot dish" recipes in it.  Classic northern food. 
2.  There is a recipe called "Bob's Slop."
3.  The measurements include things like "a touch of this", "pinch", etc.
4.  My grandma made notes in the margins next to the recipes she liked.


Tonight, I made a winner.  Barbeque Meatballs.  In the margin, my grandma wrote..."Good".  So, I trusted her judgment and gave it a whirl.


First step...make the BBQ sauce...

1 1/2 TBSP of sugar
2 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
1 CUP Ketchup
1/2 CUP Water
1/4 CUP Vinegar
1 small onion, minced

Mix it all together in a saucepan and put it on low to simmer for about 30 minutes.  Like this:


Next, mix together:

2 LBS of hamburger (the recipe said sausage, but I only had hamburger...so that's what I used)
3/4 CUP of oatmeal
1/2 CUP of milk
Salt and Pepper

Form into little balls and brown.  Like this:


Once the meatballs are browned most of the way through, put them in a 9x13 pan and pour the BBQ sauce over top.  Cover with tin foil and stick in a 350 degree oven for an hour.  When it's done...you'll get this:

 
Wait, here's a closer look:


They were so good that I'm serious, JC couldn't talk.  Not an exaggeration.  He loved them.  I loved them.  Mia shoved most of them into her high chair and pointed to the cookies on the counter.

Oh well...can't win them all.

0 comments: