Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day Pizza

Well, we had just a marvelous Father's Day.  Except we didn't get to talk to my dad because he was working, but he got a picture of Mimi and I think he was happy.  We, of course, watched the US Open as we do every year.  Well, JC, his dad and brother watched it, while I sat there pretty darn bored.  I'm sorry, as much as I try, I just can't get into golf.  BO-RING.

We usually do steaks and stuff for dinner after the golf tournament, but this year I protested.  Why?  Well, here is how it usually plays out when the three of them get together.  The US Open gets over around 7:00pm and they want to grill the steaks after that so they don't miss the tournament.  That means at 6:00pm, I am working on doing the sides and marinating the steaks while trying to feed and bathe a little girl who is beginning to get the bedtime crabbies. Also, it's a pain in the ass to make a whole separate meal for Mia than the one we're eating and there is no way she can wait to eat until 7:30 or 8pm.  Nope.  Marinating steaks and making sides with a whiny baby on my hip makes for an unhappy Jill and while I'm trying to do it all and the dads are relaxing on Father's Day, I'm giving my husband the "Why don't you help me?!?!" evil eye.  Not exactly the Father's Day we had in mind.  Seriously, this happens every time. 

So this year, I proposed something better. Homemade Pizza! These two pizzas had just enough "specialness" to be okay for Father's Day, but not so much "specialness" that I was going out of my mind.  Here is what we (I) made:

Margarita Pizza:


- Pre-made crust (Yup, I went there)
- Sliced tomatoes, with juice squeezed out (that I spent $4.99 on because, well...it IS Father's Day)
- Sliced, fresh mozzarella (not from the bag)
- Fresh basil from my garden

Seriously...just add the sauce, slap on the toppings, cook for ten minutes and viola.  It was delicious. But the real show stopper was this....

Apple Gorgonzola Pizza:


-  Pre-made crust (Let's face it, I would just burn the crust anyway)
-  Sprinkle some Monterrey Jack cheese on the bottom...just a little
-  Add chopped green apples
-  Add a few sliced red onions (thinly sliced)
-  Add a few handfuls of walnuts
-  Sprinkle Fresh rosemary over the top
-  Top with shredded monterrey jack cheese and lots of gorgonzola cheese

Bake for 10 minutes and eat the crap out of it.  Seriously, I could eat that pizza every day of my life and be happy as a clam.  Add a tossed salad with homemade ranch dressing and some chocolate brownies with caramel and sea salt and the boys were in Father's Day heaven.  Super duper easy and no fussy Jill to be found.

Well, that was mostly because my hubby cleaned up the kitchen afterwards.  That helps. 

0 comments: