Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The best thing I ever...grew

Okay, so I didn't grow ALL of this, but I did grow the basil...right out of my garden.  I know, I know...basil is the easiest thing to grow ever...but I don't claim to be Ina Garten.  I wish. Who doesn't wish they had the foresight to add coffee to every chocolate recipe they make? 

Alright, back to the task at hand.  First of all, fresh basil clipped straight from the ground is WAY more potent.  And way more rustic.  See?


No pretty, single leaves in a plastic container here, folks.  I wish you could smell it.

When I went to Europe a few years ago, I had the best Caprese salad EVER at a small cafe on the streets of Venice.  (I know, I know...sounds pretentious, but it's the truth) This salad, seriously, was the best thing I've ever eaten.  It was so good, that I took a picture and have it framed on a wall above my dining room table.  Don't believe me? Fine.  Here's the proof...


The basil was muddled and I think steeped in olive oil and sans balsamic vinegar...but oh man, it was so delicious.  Being 5 months pregnant and in Italian food heaven might have been a factor, but regardless, I STILL dream about that salad. 

So, here is my take on the classic. Get some tomatoes.  (These came from the store, the tomatoes in my garden are still green)


Clip some basil.





Open a beer.  Wait... what?


Grab some fresh mozzarella cheese and assemble the salad as so...


Super delicious, and perfect for summer.  Add some avocado and prepare to have your mind BLOWN!  

0 comments: