Monday, January 31, 2011

The best homemade dessert I've made...maybe.

I'm not a dessert maker.  I really don't enjoy baking all that much.  Mostly because you "really" have to watch the measurements of the ingredients and I just don't have the patience for that.  I like to add a little of this and a little of that when I cook.  See, when you do that when you're baking, you get a cake that won't rise or lumpy pudding.

Anyway, I did have enough patience to make this last week.


It's another Pioneer Woman recipe.  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/pretty-little-brownie-bites/

I don't have mini muffin tins so instead of pretty "little" brownie bites, these are just pretty "regular sized" brownies.   But, seriously, how pretty are these?


All from scratch...and they are SO good!  Really rich...so if you're not a sweets person, then I'm not sure this one is for you.  But, if you are...holy moly...they're a total win.  In case you're wondering what's on top...that's sea salt.  Yup, sea salt.  Mia and I took a trip to Whole Foods (YES) and got some really great sea salt for these.  Something was telling me that my sea salt grinder from CostCo wasn't gonna cut it here.

At first bite, I was a little disappointed.  I asked JC, "So, does the sea salt really work on this?  Or do they just taste like brownies with salt on them."  I'm still not really convinced.  I've had chocolate truffles with sea salt that were amazing, but this didn't quite have the same flavor profile as those did.  I was assured by everyone who ate these at JC's birthday dinner that the sea salt was amazing on them...but who knows.  Maybe they were just being nice.  Salt or not, they were still really good.

In other news, the sick girl (yes, she's still sick) is a walking fool.  Look out world! (and Goose, our cat.)

0 comments: