Tuesday, January 18, 2011

And we're back!

We're back folks!  The three of us have appetites, can hold down more than water and we're ready to cook.  Goodbye stomach virus plague 2011...you will not be missed.

Okay, on to today's cooking endeavors.

After I picked Mimi up from her Mother's Day Out program, we went to Tom Thumb. It's the fancy grocery store in my neck of the woods.  Well, I live in a fairly nice part of town so all of our grocery stores are pretty darn nice...but Tom Thumb is probably the prettiest and most overpriced. But, their produce is always spectacular, so...there I went. Also, it's closer to Mimi's daycare than Kroger.  And Whole Foods is only for special occasions.

I made these this afternoon. Kind of a whim, just to see what they'd taste like.  These are kicked up rice krispie treats.  Found the recipe on the back of our Cost-Co size bag of Craisins.  I know what you're thinking..."This girl's idol is Ina Garten and she's getting recipes off the back of the Craisin's bag?"  Like I said earlier, we gotta start somewhere.

I give you...Trail Mix Treasures. Cheasy name, I know...blame the Craisins bag.

They are delicious, let me tell you.  I don't even think JC could put into words how good they were. Just alot of "yeah, good, uh huh..."  Simple too.

1/4 cup of butter, melted in a large saucepan
1 bag of marshallows, add to melted butter and stir until completely melted
Add 5 cups of rice krispies and stir until evenly mixed
Add 3/4 cup of craisins and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips and stir until mixed
Spread evenly into an 8x12 greased pan and top with 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and a handful of slivered almonds.

Delicious!

Tonight's meal is vegetarian, mostly because I still really can't stomach the smell of any meat cooking just yet.

Parmesan Primavera...another recipe from So Easy by Ellie Krieger.  She's a great chef, most of her recipes are healthy, simple and lowfat.  And...YUMMY!  Well, so far...I've only made two, but I aspire to make many, many more.

Here's tonight's meal.  The only change I made to this one was substituting whole wheat pasta for regular linguine.  A little less healthy, but it tasted better!


Mimi liked it. She likes to slurp the noodles and was making the funniest noises when she picked up her tomatoes.  Like she was telling them a story...She'd babble really seriously at it, and then smile and laugh.  Babble seriously, then smile and laugh.  It was the best thing I've seen...well, ever.  How can you not love this face?

0 comments: