Friday, July 22, 2011

Here's what I know.

I have many friends who blog.  Most of them have kids and use their blog as an outlet just like I do.  A way to let my creative side go to a place that doesn't have anything to do with my work and is focused on what I want my "real" life to look like.  Ha! Someday soon I promise to live my real life.  Where I do nothing but be a hippy stay at home mom with at least 2 more kids who grows her own food and never wears shoes.  Hey! You have your dream, I have mine. 

Anyway, many of my friends have shared their "things I couldn't live without as a mom or this is the best way to do things with your kids" blog posts and I think it's high time I shared mine.  Because we ALL KNOW, my opinions count the most.  Haha, just kidding, but seriously...here is what I know...meaning, here is what I've learned about caring for a baby and now, raising a toddler.

#1 - Elmo is your friend.  Elmo is EVERYBODY'S friend.  He's cute, sweet and can always be counted on to send a good message to your child. Equality and love for everyone!!! Also, I credit Sesame Street TOTALLY for Mia being able to count to ten at 19 months old.

#2 - Let your kid play in the mud.  Always.  It will keep her/him occupied for so much longer than anything else and all you have to do is strip her/him down to a diaper and get out the hose once they are done.   Plus, you can totally use the pictures you take of her covered in mud as a baby at their high school graduation ceremony.

#3 - Playtex sippy cups are the ONLY sippy cups to buy.  And I'm serious.  Don't get lured in to the cutesy ones with their names on them (I'm looking at your Babys-R-Us checkout line sippy cups) or the ones with straws or anything like that.  They are the only sippy cups that I have found that don't leak and can withstand being dropped over and over...and over and over.

#4 - Take away the pacifier before 15 months.  I didn't do it and now Mia is more attached than ever.  She only has it when she sleeps but I have nightmares about the day we take it away.  2 is our absolute cut off and that'll be here before we know it.

#5 - Invest in Stride Right shoes when they are starting to walk.  They really are great for their feet and you will have less falls. Meaning less scraped knees.  Meaning less meltdowns from scraped knees in the grocery store.

#6 - Walmart Garanimals clothes are the best baby/kids clothes out there.  As much as Walmart sucks for many reasons (sexual discrimination against women being the latest reason), those $3.50 shirt and short matching sets are just TOO GOOD to pass up. 

#7 - Buy a magic bullet, make your own baby food and freeze it in ice cube trays when your baby is first starting to eat solid foods.  We saved so much money and it's good for the kid. 

#8 - Schedule, schedule, schedule.

#9 - Once Upon a Child and any other used baby store is where you should buy....everything.  After your baby shower hoard dries up, head to the nearest used store, get yourself a punch card and buy everything there.  Mia's high chair, bouncy chair, Cozy coupe car, most of her shoes, clothes and books come from there.  If you are a non-believer...take one trip to Gymboree and see how much they want you to pay for a pair of shoes or a sunhat and you'll change your mind real quickly.

#10 - The bottom line...all kids are different and what works for me, might not work for you.  And just when you think you know everything...the baby #2 proves you wrong.  Mark my words.

2 comments:

Katie said...

.... the baby #2??

And I would have to agree with you on pretty much all accounts here!

Jill said...

Hahah, no not yet. But...we're going to "talk" about it after Mia turns two. I've just heard that every time you think you know how it's gonna go, the next baby proves you wrong. Ha!