Monday, August 1, 2011

Peach Shortcakes

First of all...The Real Housewives of New York fight way too much and the whole "blonde side v. the brunette side" isn't working for me.  I watch the show to live vicariously through very rich women who regularly get botox, buy Jimmy Choos and plan their day around lunch dates with their girlfriends.  If I wanted to see fights, I'd watch Jerry Springer...like my dad.

Anyway, my mama (or nana as she's called in our house) visited us for 10 days and they went by FAST!  I can't believe she already went home.  One of the things that she made while she was here was THIS!


A beautiful, peach shortcake made out of the most delicious peaches, homemade shortcake and *ahem* 8montholdcannedwhippedcream.  There I said it.  Hey, it still tasted very good and we didn't really care.  Is it good that canned whipped cream can last that long in your fridge?  No.  Is canned whipped cream good, period?  No.  But, I'm not above it.  So on my dessert it went. 

Anyway, it's one of the things that I love about my mom and "women from the farm in the Midwest" in general, I guess.  No, Southern women do not count because they all think they're better than everyone else and I'm not gonna help feed that. Gotta be from the Midwest.  Anyway, one of the things that I love about my mom is how she can just whip this up.  It's like, oh...we have these great peaches, let's do shortcakes, we have Bisquick.  I would NEVER think to make shortcakes with Bisquick. Pancakes?  Yes.  Biscuits?  Maybe.  But shortcakes?  I would never think to do it and I'm glad my mama was around to think of it. 

In other news, RIP my garden.  I've given up and I'm not going to stress about it anymore.  We have had about 30 straight days over 100 degrees with no rain and I'm fighting to keep ANYTHING alive in my yard.  I'm not going to stress over tomato plants that aren't bearing any tomatoes, bell peppers that I never eat (not planting those next year) and baby carrots that are all "going to the top."  That's a gardening term (taught to me by my mom) when the tops of the plan get full and lush but the actual vegetable at the bottom is small and bitter.  Happens to carrots and radishes, I think.  Needless to say, my poor garden isn't getting watered anymore and I'm gonna pull all of the plants in a few days and just accept it. 

But, I'm happy.  Know why?  Cause I ate this AGAIN for dessert tonight.  Thanks mama! ( I mean Nana).


0 comments: