Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Some Wonderful Things...

We're back in business, folks.  September and October has flown by and I had about 8 blog post "drafts" that went unfinished for way too long.  I was incredibly busy with work that I don't think I had enough inspiration left for a blog.  So, what better place to start than with a list of wonderful things, because right now, there are so many wonderful things going on in the lives of the Talmans.

Wonderful Thing #1 - My brother is coming home! From Iraq! He's been there for about 13 months and now, he's close to being home in the next few weeks.  It's like we are all letting out a collective "breath" that we've been holding in for a year.  He's coming home.

Wonderful Thing #2 - Mia is a painting FOOL!  Wants to paint all day, every day.  See?



Wonderful Thing #3 - Huskers (football and Speech and Debate Team) have been making us proud Nebraska transplants in Texas lately.  Mia and I proudly sport our Husker gear around Plano (home of Rex Burkhead, might I add)...


Wonderful Thing #4 - This.

Wonderful Thing #5- We got a new couch! It's been WAY overdue for a long time and let me tell you, it's the best purchase I think I've ever made.  It reclines fully on both sides and it's so comfortable.  We love it.


Wonderful Thing #6 -  We had a lovely Halloween.  Mia dressed up as a cow the day before Halloween and we went to a community festival with face painting, a petting zoo, bounce houses, carnival-style food and music and dancing.  Mia loved it!  Especially the music part.  She is gonna be a diva, I can feel it already.  I have no idea where she gets it... :)


Then on Halloween, we hung out at home and handed out candy to the big kids who came trick or treating.  Well, Mia just didn't like that she had to give candy away to the big kids and not get any herself.  So, after we handed out candy, I let her pick out a piece of candy.  Not the smartest thing to do an hour before bedtime, but it WAS Halloween.  Oh, and she had to dress up again too like the big kids.  So she did.


I asked her to show me her "trick or treat" face.  And this is what she gave me.  See? Diva.

Un-Wonderful Thing #1 - Mia and I have been fighting a nasty cold for about 2 weeks.  Mia is one of those kids that gets the croup every time she gets a cold.  So after a night of sticking her head in the freezer to avoid a trip to the ER, we got some oral steriods to keep on hand at home for the future and we made a "croup tent."  It was our first one so I think we have some improving to do.  But, Mia and Elmo thought it was FUN! Croup or not. 


Wonderful Thing #7 - I wanted to save this one for last.  As I sit on the couch (My new couch.  Reclining couch.) at 8am in the morning on a Wednesday, I am happy to say that I am now a stay-at home mama.  Well, a stay at home mama with a writing contract job with my employer who works about 40 hours a month.  I am so beyond happy that I am able to do this now and I know I am right where I need to be.  Like most moms, I struggled with trying to do it all...work (Hey! I have a Master's Degree!), be a rock star mom and keep a perfect house and it just wasn't working very well.  I am so very happy and pretty lucky, actually.  Very, very wonderful. 

0 comments: